How is a Private Tutor Different from an Online Tutor?
Throughout my research online and offline, I came across the same old question asked all over the internet: Which is better, private tutors or online tutors? In this post, I will summarize the difference between the two home tutoring and online tutoring so you can make a well-informed choice.
Online tutoring can be significantly more convenient than having to drive or take a bus to a designated location for individual tutoring. Much of the time, online tutoring is merely watching a pre-recorded video and asking questions via chat. This feature allows anyone who has Internet access from any location in the world to acquire expert help from top teachers. Some online tutors will provide material that the student can view on their own time, as well as live chat-based help for when things aren’t clear.
Online tutoring also removes any limitations on your schedule by providing an online tutor around the clock, including weekends and holidays. This convenience can make all the difference in helping you keep up with your coursework, especially if you are currently working full-time or attending school full-time.
Often, to find an online tutor for a subject you’re interested in, you’ll need to be familiar with the topic and how it works. However, that’s no problem when you’ve got an experienced private tutor at your beck and call. Although it does cost more than using a popular online learning platform like Coursera or Udacity, often the savings make the price worth it. In addition to being less expensive than many private tutors, those from professional universities are likely to be much better at teaching you how to learn efficiently and effectively.
3. Skills and training of the tutor
For many of us, the first time we hear about tutoring comes from a friend who raves about the brilliant tutor they found (the one with a degree in the subject they’re teaching). In comparison, the idea of paying someone—let alone strangers we’ve never met!—to teach us is daunting. So overwhelming that many people are not sure what to expect from their sessions.
With this uncertainty, it’s important to note that both forms of tutoring have a lot in common and can provide benefits for tutors and tutors alike. Some main differences between private tutors and online tutors can include:
- A private tutor will usually have passed a university course in their subject field; this ensures high quality and competency.
- An online tutor may be experienced with their subject area but will normally not have passed an exam. For example, if you want to improve your French comprehension to go on holiday next year, you could visit an online French tutor who has experience teaching others but has not yet taken a language exam and thus does not hold official teacher status as such (and also does not usually require any fees).
- The majority of private tutors are university graduates compared to Internet-based ones; this gives these professionals more credibility when dealing with students face-to-face.
4. The student’s learning style
It’s not an easy thing to find the right tutoring option for a student. When shopping around for a tutor, you’ll want to think about whether your student prefers working alone or collaboratively, and also whether he or she has a learning style that fits well with that of the potential tutor. There are three different types of learners: auditory learners prefer to learn through listening; visual learners prefer to learn through watching, and kinesthetic learners prefer to learn via hands-on experiences.
What kind of learner is your child? How does he or she best like to be taught? Think about those questions when evaluating prospective tutors. You can also refer back here if you need help determining how best to use our service at Tutor Match.
5. There are plenty of options for extra help.
With the rise of technology, it’s no surprise that online tutoring has grown in popularity. Online tutoring is one of the fastest-growing fields in education. But what exactly are online tutors doing to earn this title? How are they different from private tutors? And more importantly, how can they help you thrive academically?
- Online Tutoring: Online tutors provide support to students over Skype or other internet-connected programs, and may also give assignments or homework to be completed on the student’s own time. This option is available for subjects ranging from math and science to art history and literature. For many students who are overwhelmed with schoolwork, an online tutor can lighten their load by providing them with resources or helping them study at a pace that works for them. Because of convenient scheduling options (online tutoring can often be done at a time when a student is most focused), many students find this method especially helpful.
- Private Tutoring: Private tutors are present live in your home or at another location of your choosing and offer assistance with homework or test preparation for subjects like English grammar or foreign language lessons. This type of tutor may also act as a mentor if you’re struggling with a subject you once excelled in; however, you should weigh potential drawbacks before choosing between private tutor and online tutor options. For example, although it provides an opportunity for one-on-one attention and increased access to professionals who may have advanced degrees in their field, private tutoring is typically more expensive than online services. The convenience factor often makes up for the cost; however, if your budget is tight but you still need extra help with a specific subject area like chemistry or biology lab work, an online tutor may be the right call—and could save you hundreds per month compared to hourly rates charged by some private tutors.
Keeping up with the most challenging high school curriculum – online math tutor, English, online IELTS tutor online, and Science tutoring.
Trying to analyze online courses and where to get your tutor from.
TigerCampus Singapore is a top online tutor Singapore platform. With years of experience, we have a strong local presence islandwide. Thanks to our professional team of teachers, students get the best learning environment possible. Start with a free trial!